History of the church
Long Eaton Baptist Church has served God and people in the town and area since Victorian times.
History of the Church
1861 - 1864
Our Church was founded in 1861 in the upper rooms of a Carpenter’s Shop on High Street.
As numbers grew, it was decided by members of the Church to look for a new site and in 1864 the first Long Eaton Baptist Church was erected for the cost of £350.
1880 - 1908
The building served as a Chapel and school until 1880.
When the site next to the Chapel was bought, a new Church was built and opened in the October. In 1908, the new School building was opened.
1939 - 1955
During the second world war, the School Hall was devoted to the service of the men and women of H.M.Forces, as a centre for recreation and refreshments. During the years of war no fewer than 1,500,000 visits were made by members of the various armed forces.
A tablet has been placed on the outside of the building as a memorial.
In 1955 the interior of the Church was modified, a new porch area was built and the Memorial windows dedicated.
1955 - Present
Long Eaton Baptist Church continues to serve God and the local community to the present day.